Pediatric Sedation Services
The pediatric sedation service provides sedation for painful or emotional procedures, including:
Our pediatric sedation team works carefully to match the best sedation techniques to each child and situation. We strive to use the least amount of medication necessary to achieve a good result, so the type of sedation and medication used can vary for children.
It may not be possible to tell you ahead of time exactly what type of medication will be used. Our sedation team is experienced in matching the best sedation techniques to each child and situation.
Other supportive services
The Child Life team at Mission Children's Hospital minimizes the stress and anxiety for children involved in procedures. By providing child-friendly explanations and coping skills, our patients are better equipped to complete their diagnostic procedures with minimal sedation and sometimes no sedation.
The Care Team
Our team includes pediatric critical care physicians who are specially trained in pediatric sedation. We work closely with specialists in the following areas enhancing the care we offer:
- Pediatric Radiology
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Surgery
- Child Life
Eating and Drinking Instructions - Preparing your child for sedation services
- Up to 6 hours before the exam - no formula
- Up to 4 hours before the exam - no breast milk
- 8 hours before the exam - do not feed children solid foods.
- Up to 6 hours before the exam - children may eat a non-fat, non-meat snack such as toast.
- Up to 2 hours before the exam - children may have clear liquids such as apple juice or any liquid you can see through.
- If your child is sick, please call your referring physician to see if he or she is safe to be sedated. If necessary, call 213-2222 to reschedule.
- If you have any questions about the exam or about feeding your child before the exam, you may contact your referring physician.
Our Interdisciplinary Staff
|Intensivists:||Core pediatric nursing team:|
Rebecca Carchman, MD
Colby Colasacco, MD
Cecelia Caldwell, MD
Leon Dejournett, MD
Mary Johnson, RN, BSN
Karen Joyce, RN, BSN
Simons Michels, RN, BSN
Sheila Evans, RN, BSN
|Child life specialists:|
Julian Cate, CCLS
Amy Fisher, CCLS
If you believe your child could benefit from our services:
Have your physician make a referral by calling 828-213-2222
- Once the referral has been made we will call you to schedule an appointment and provide you with paperwork which must be returned prior to your appointment.
- Come to Mission Children's Hospital, 509 Biltmore Avenue, for your appointment.
To make a referral call 828-213-2222.